I didn't actually know this was due to take place (my fault for not reading the minutes and being more involved!). It came as a bit of a shock to see it happening! I always thought the purpose of hedge laying was to make a hedge stock proof (not appropriate here). I am hoping that although it looks drastic, it may bring some future benefit (as is usually the case with any conservation work). Also hoping the diversity of native plant species in the hedge is not reduced. And the removal of so much ground layer vegetation does not adversely affect hibernating creatures (frogs, toads, newts, hedgehogs?). But I'm still left wondering was it really necessary and why?

Views: 73

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I must admit I'm disappointed that there was a decision to do the whole length of the hedge at once. This leaves no nesting habitat for birds in spring 2015, and many species are already prospecting for nest sites. It will now be several seasons before the hedge is suitable for nesting birds.

We had hoped that the hedge laying would be done in sections for the ornithological reasons you mention. However, BCC Estates pointed out that, given the parlous state of council funds, there was no guarantee that the expert staff required for the task might not be in post next year. So, using the slightly inappropriate proverb " A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush', we left it to Estates to do as they thought best.

RSS

© 2019   Created by admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service