This eFOCUS is sent to those who have expressed an interest in what is happening in and around Ashley ward.
If you want additional information on any topic, then please email my colleague Waliur Rahman or I or follow the web link where available. For daily updates see the Ashley Ward Information Facebook wall at http://bit.ly/fbashley
Help on election day - please email or phone if you can spare an hour on Thursday 5th May. Thanks to all who have already offered. Also let us know if you would be prepared to display a poster for Waliur Rahman - Email or Text the word POSTER and your name & address to 07855 494 860 and we will drop one round. Thank you.
(1) Ashley ward election hustings tomorrow - Friday 29th April 4pm - at Malcolm X Centre 141 City Road Bristol BS2 8YH. An opportunity to see, hear, meet and question the four councillor candidates in next week's local Ashley election. Thanks to Ashley Housing for organising and sponsoring. Waliur Rahman and I will be there. Stephen Williams MP will also be speaking.
(2) Troubles on Cheltenham Road - I am not going to add to the information, speculation or comments about the disturbance on and around Cheltenham Road, except to say that such behaviour is totally unacceptable. However angry and frustrated people may feel, there is no excuse for such behaviour. Supt Julian Moss has issued a "Frequently Asked Questions" letter to residents - please let me or Waliur know if you would like a copy.
(3) Antisocial behaviour in and around St Andrews Park. There was a PACT style meeting earlier this month organised by Simon Humphrey from the Police. Following that we sent a letter to interested residents on 16th April - please let us know if you would like a copy. Discussion on line athttp://friendsofstandrewspark.ning.com/
(4) Montpelier Park update. Lots going on in and around the park, including an application for a £50,000 grant from SITA to upgrade the ball court area at the bottom of the park. Money is proving tight, and so compromises are being considered. More info at http://bit.ly/jP4iU4
Also look out for "Go Wild in Montpelier Park!" on Saturday May 7th 2pm-4pm and Urban Greening's work days on first Saturday of each month Saturday 7th May in collaboration with Montpelier Arts Trail: kids activities, bbq, plants and cake for sale. There's all sorts going on "photography, tai chi, green roofing, gardening, wildlife hunts, and music jams to name but a few": http://bit.ly/lc5BJA
(5) Montpelier and St Pauls Art Festival and Trail next weekend, Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th May, 11am to 6pm http://bristolartfringe.org/
(6) Albany Green ideas day - Saturday 14th May 12 noon-3pm - more details shortly.
(7) Birds in the Park - Sunday 15th May the last walk before the summer break. All welcome Des Bowring's report from the walk this month is athttp://bit.ly/mLz3qA
(8) Primary school places - a number of parents have been in contact to say they have not been offered one of their top three requested schools. We are short of places locally. Our plans for a new school on the Brunel Fields site by Ashley Down were set back two years when Labour regained control of the city in 2007. The school is open now, and will become 2 form entry subject to planning permission next year. We are also exploring options to re-open the old Fairfield site and increase St Werburghs primary, St Barnabus and Cabot Primary to 2 form entry. More information in the School Organisation Plan agreed by our Cabinet last month. http://bit.ly/iW5Tfr
Montpelier Wednesday 1st June 12pm to 2pm Meet on the corner of Picton Street and Ashley Road
St Werburghs Saturday 21st May 10am to 12pm starting point to be confirmed
(10) St Werburghs City Farm fair - Saturday 11th June "This years Farm Fair theme is 'The World is our Playground', in honour of the launch of the new playground fund.The Fair is looking so good this year we are all having piglets in the Farm office! It's going to be another classic day .... ... and a general feeling of unbridled bliss."! http://bit.ly/kQvWVE
(11) Stokes Croft Streetfest on Saturday May 21st "Stokes Croft Streetfest is a day-long festival celebrating the cultural fertility of Stokes Croft as truly unique; a place of outstanding un-natural beauty, an urban garden blossoming with ideas, creativity and passion. Its about fun, positivity and revelry."
(12) Westmoreland House update
(a) Letter sent to those interested on 5th April - please let us know if you would like a copy. The next stage is forming a stakeholder group to oversee the public involvement and consultation. http://bit.ly/h384jI
(b) The owner has submitted a new planning application which should be online shortly The description of development for both applications ( 11/01181/F and 11/01182/F) reads: Revised application, pursuant to appeal decision, for part refurbishment, part demolition and part extension of existing buildings and new building, to provide 183 self-contained flats, with shops at ground level and with provision of a three level parking facility, including alterations to the Listed Building (carriage works), and demolition of listed no. 4 Ashley Road.
(13) Narroways work day Saturday 30th April 10:30am - please help the excellent work to maintain Narroways
(14) Neighbourhood Forum for Ashley - Monday 16th May 2011 - 6.30pm to 8:30pm - Salvation Army, Ashley Road http://bit.ly/npaelh
(15) Neighbourhood Partnership meeting - Wednesday 22nd June 2011 - 6.30pm - 8.30pm - Barton Hill Settlement http://bit.ly/npaelh
(16) 70th Anniversary of Wellington Bomber T2905 crash in St Andrews Park - Saturday 30th April 2:30-5:30pm A short service to mark the 70th anniversary of the Wellington bomber crash in St Andrews Park on 30th April 1941. http://friendsofstandrewspark.ning.com/
(17) Baroque music evening at St Barts Church Friday May 13th 7pm-9:30pm
MUSIC FOR A SPRING EVENING AT ST. BARTS -May 13, 2011 from 7pm to 9:30pmSt Barts ChurchTickets are now available for Music for a Spring Evening, a concert of baroque gems featuring popular works by some of the best known composers from that era including J.S. Bach, Handel and Telemanhttp://friendsofstandrewspark.ning.com/
There is always lots happening in and around the ward. If you have particular topics of interest, then let us know or post yourself at http://bit.ly/fbashley
, as we send out infrequent emails on specific topics to those expressing an interest.
Waliur and I make a great team, so I do hope you will vote for him to join me on the council on Thursday. I know that he will work with me not against me; together we can do so much more for Ashley and Bristol.