This eFOCUS is sent to those who have expressed an interest in what is
happening in and around Ashley ward.
If you want additional information on any topic, then please email my
colleague Waliur Rahman or I or follow the web link where available. For
daily updates see the Ashley Ward Information Facebook wall at
(1) Ashley Easton and Lawrence Hill Neighbourhood Partnership AELHNP on
16th March 2011 details at http://bit.ly/i3IjM7 agreed...
(2) AELHNP agreed priority investment in all traffic schemes mentioned
in last eFocus: Picton Lane, (Montpelier), Ashley Hill/Chesterfield
Road, (St Andrews) junction, Cobourg Road/Ashley Hill (Montpelier)
junction, Magdalene Place (St Werburghs/Montpelier) and possible schemes
around Mina Road and Sevier Street (St Werburghs) subject to S106, local
consultation and TRO approval.
(3) AELHNP accepted local responsibility for Section 106 development
money for our communities. This means money earmarked for parks,
highways and "other" will be decided by us in our communities, rather
than council officers. Part of our plans to devolve power and resources
to local communities.
(4) AELHNP agreed the approach to involve communities with the new Parks
and Green Space investment, including protection of ALL of our publicly
accessible green space for a minimum of 20 years. Stoke Park, Grove Wood
and Hebron Cemetery in Bedminster are all being acquired under this
policy, supported by the Bristol Parks Forum.
(5) Westmoreland House. I am meeting officers on Monday 21st March to
discuss next steps. More news shortly.
(6) Albany Green. Local resident Lara, Waliur and I are organising a
public meeting at the Salvation Army Citadel on Friday 25th March
6pm-7:30pm to open the discussion on how we might improve the park and
adjacent streets. We will be sending out a separate email to those that
have expressed an interest in Albany Green. Please email Waliur or I if
you would like to be added to that list.
(7) I understand we are exploring an innovative approach to St James
Barton Roundabout (AKA The Bear Pit) supporting the local Bear Pit
Improvement Group - go for it! http://www.the-bear-pit.org.uk/
(8) Excellent news - New Severn Beach Line contract: more trains and new
ticket machines, with less taxpayers money - The future of the Severn
Beach Line is looking better than ever following a new agreement between
the city council and First Great Western. More details
(9) Playing out free workshop Hamilton House on Thursday 24th March
10am-12:30 to try to get playing out going around Ashley/Stokes Croft/St
Paul's/Bishopston. How to organise a street play event
http//www.playingout.net Email : email@example.com Brilliant!
(10) Bristol Cycle Festival 2011 Come to the "re-imagining event" at 35
King Street on Tuesday 29th March at 6.30pm - have your say on what the
Bristol Cycle Festival should look like in 2011!
(11) Sunday April 17th - Don your tidiest tweed or your fanciest frock,
polish up your vintage bike (or give your modern one a touch of fancy
dress), and join us on a jolly nice meander through some lovely Somerset
countryside, via a village green, for cream teas and some fun and games.
This ride is a fundraiser for the 2011 Bristol Cycle Festival and entry
is a fiver via http://vintage-velo.blogspot.com/p/register.html
Registration is now open so don't be caught napping!
REMINDERS OF FUTURE DATES (as per last eFOCUS)
(12) Montpelier Bean Feast n23rd March 6:30pm at the Arts House. http://bit.ly/i9HBGL
(13) There is a "Big Open Meeting" on Thursday 24th March, 7-9pm, in the
Fairfield Resource Centre and you are warmly invited. "Whats it going to
be like in 2015? Ever wondered? People all over the world think about it
a lot and reckon that a critical part of a safe and happy future is
local communities doing their thing; be it growing vegetables, putting
up solar energy panels, having street parties, swapping tools, sharing
(14) "To launch the regenerated area of Montpelier Park, we are holding
a community Picnic in the Park on Saturday 26th March from 12 noon -
2pm". Bring a picnic, play some table tennis, use the barbecue, meet the
neighbours and help us celebrate the new space. More details at
(15) 'Resolving Conflict Together - How do we make Bristol a Restorative
City?' is a one day conference on 1st April 2011 £5 to share more ideas
about what we can do to make Bristol a Restorative City for everyone.
For more information and bookings, contact The Pieran Centre
(16) Friends of St Andrews Park AGM will be Wednesday 20th April 2011
(17) Provisional dates for the work days on Narroways Hill this Spring
to meet at 10.30am on top of the hill, by the bench, on these Saturdays:
26 March 2011, 30 April 2011, 4 June 2011 More info :
(18) Join the Neighbourhood partnership walkabouts if youre keen on
sharing your thoughts about the neighbourhood. Next dates:
__Montpelier ______Saturday 26th March 10am to 12pm Starting point to be
__St Werburghs ___Wednesday 13th April 3.30pm to 5pm Starting point Bill
board at the end of Mina Road.
__St Pauls ________Friday 15th April 9.30am to 11.30 Outside Ashley
House, 98-100 Grosvenor Road, St Paul's, Bristol, BS2 8YA
Further dates at http://bit.ly/esKUCt
There is always lots happening in and around the ward. If you have
particular topics of interest, then let us know or post yourself at
http://bit.ly/fbashley , as we send out infrequent emails on specific
topics to those expressing an interest.
If you would like to help Waliur and I with resident surveys, delivering
newsletters, investigating and responding to casework or even putting up
a poster at election time, it would be much appreciated. We have a great
team and we hope that we are making a positive difference in Ashley ward
and in Bristol.
Finally, we would welcome feedback on this eFOCUS. We are happy to help
residents, local businesses and voluntary agencies where we can, to
pursue issues to make Ashley better. Please let me or Waliur know if you
do not want to receive emails from us.
Waliur Rahman (T): 07855 494 860, (E): firstname.lastname@example.org
Jon Rogers (T): 07785561992 (E): email@example.com
Add a Comment